The Apple iPod doesn’t really need any introduction as they are one of the most popular makes of MP3 players on the market today and widely (but wrongly) considered to have been the first MP3 players to be introduced. They weren’t, but they did introduce a new concept to the market with iTunes and were the first to feature a colour screen.
The Apple iPod has a huge 160GB of storage which means that you can store up to 40,000 songs on the device, 200 hours of video or 25,000 photos. That’s a whopping amount of storage for an MP3 player, meaning that you will never run out of music to listen to.
This is complemented by up to 35 hours of battery life, making the Apple iPod perfect for weekends away or long journeys on a train or aeroplane. The Genius feature is an intuitive one that allows you to easily create tailored playlists which combine any artists that you might want to listen to.
Indeed, Genius can even make a playlist for you; just a few simple clicks will allow you to quickly add tracks that go with or are similar to the ones you already have stored in your library and automatically make a playlist for you. This can be listened to immediately or saved for another time and is a great way to experiment with tunes as it adds music that you may not have thought of.
Searching for your music is easy too, via the Click Wheel that you can use to search and navigate songs in a variety of ways. You can search for album art or for specific titles and artists or you can choose to search by playlist or album, the choice is all yours.
The iPod classic also comes with three preinstalled games, Vortex, iQuiz and Klondlike and you can purchase additional games at the iTunes Store, it’s not like you’re going to be stuck for space, after all. The clear 2.5” display makes video come alive too so you can buy movies, TV shows and download video podcasts all from iTunes for convenience.
You can share your photos easily on a PC or Mac or play slideshows complete with music and transitions using a composite AV cable. As you would expect from a MP3 player of this quality, the iPod classic gives exceptional clarity of sound and the headphones are exceptional quality for in-ear headphones.
Apple iPod Classic 160GB specifications:
- Display: 2.5” colour LCD with LED backlight, 320x240p
- Capacity: 160GB HDD, can also store data via USB hard drive
- Audio: supports AAC, protected AAC, HE-AAC, MP3, MP3 VBR Audible (formats 2,3,4 audible enhanced audio AAX and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, WAV
- Video: H.264 video up to 1.5 Mbps, 640x480 pixels
- Battery: Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery, up to 36 hours playback when fully charged or 6 hours of video playback
- System requirements: Max OSX v10.4.11 or later, Windows 7, Vista, XP Home or Pro with SP3 or later, USB port required, iTunes 9 or later
- Dimensions: 103.5x61.8x10.5mm (HxWxD)
- Weight: 140g