Norton Internet Security 2012 gives you all that you need for peace of mind when it comes to protecting your computer and your personal data. Not only does it protect against viruses, trojans, spyware and adware, but it also helps to protect you from identity theft by keeping your details safe.
These days, keeping your computer free of malware (which literally is taken from two words: malicious + software) is vitally important. With the rise of social networking, so too has the number of online attacks increased dramatically; Norton helps to protect against threats such as these using a number of ‘layered’ solutions.
Whilst this version has three licenses to ensure that all of your home devices are protected, it’s important to remember that once one of these is activated, the rest will be too, even if they have not been installed on the other machines in your household. This means that you can’t simply buy a three-license product and install a new license when the old one runs out; the software is designed to protect all of the machines in your home, not be an on-going solution (beyond the original license).
However, it’s ideal for families as it gives you access to Norton Online Family, which is designed to protect children from online dangers such as malicious websites, online pornography and so on.
It includes a link scanner, which blocks access to sites which might contain malware threats automatically, before you even reach them, a great feature for anyone that has ever been caught out in this way before (easy to do by simply typing in a popular URL wrongly). Scanning is fast and easy and everything works in real time so that you don’t have to worry as you surf – however, if you prefer to schedule scans for a time when you’re not working at the machine, then you can do this too.
The ‘Identity Safe’ feature stores all of your addresses, logins, passwords and credit/debit card numbers and will fill in forms automatically at websites that you know and trust. This information is stored securely using encryption so you need not worry that your credentials are unsafe.
One of the best features of Norton IS 2012 is the ability to scan your Facebook newsfeed, especially for those with teenagers in the house, who seem to click on everything and anything. Not only does it scan feeds for dangerous downloads and links to malicious sites, it warns you and your friends about them so that you can be safe in future.
For me, this is one of the best features of the software, as scams and malware are rife on the social network and don’t seem to be slowing down at all.
The software also continuously monitors your PC by checking files as they move to see where and when they were installed, if they were recent and if they are potentially dangerous. Likewise, new downloads are scanned before install to ensure that they don’t contain anything potentially damaging to your PC.
Computer security has always been important, but is becoming more so every day, so it’s important that you protect your home PCs and Norton Internet Security 2012 gives you all of the protection that you need and more.
- Operating Systems Supported: Windows XP (32-bit), Home/Professional/Tablet PC/Media Centre (32-bit) with Service Pack 2 or later, Microsoft Windows Vista® (32-bit and 64-bit) Starter/Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate with Service Pack 1 or later, Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) Starter/Home Basic/Home Premium/Ultimate
- Minimum hardware requirements: 300 MHz for Microsoft Windows XP, 1 GHz for Microsoft Windows Vista/Microsoft Windows 7, 256 MB of RAM, 300MB HHD space, CD-ROM/DVD drive (unless installing via download)
- Browser Plug-In Support: MS IE 6.0 or later (32-bit only), Mozilla Firefox 9.0 or later (32-bit only)
- Antispam support: Outlook 2002 or later, Outlook Express 6.0 or later, Windows Mail (spam filtering only)
- Browser support for vulnerability and phishing: IE 6.0 or later, Firefox 9.0 or later, Google Chrome 10.0 or higher